"I'm always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
~ Pablo Picasso
Growing your own sprouts is a great way to save money, get an amazing amount of nutritional value and protein for such little time and money investment, and saves on packaging and shipping's negative impact on the Earth!
Best of all, they taste great, and are amazingly versatile for cooking into dishes or served raw!
What you will Need:
- Sprouting Jar - You can buy the Jar you see above HERE
- Beans for Sprouting - You can find sprouting beans at your local Health Food Store.
- A cool, dry space for the Jar while sprouting- I used a shelf in my kitchen, where it wouldn't be disturbed, but I could see it and remember to rinse it daily.
1. Place two tablespoons of seeds or 1/2 cup of legumes/grains in a sprouting jar with three times as much water as seeds. Soak overnight. For many small seeds, five hours of soaking is sufficient.
(I did not get a photo of this step)
2. Drain the water from the jar. Rinse seeds in fresh, lukewarm water and drain again. For well drained seeds/sprouts, lay jar at an angle in a warm (70°F), dark place.
3. Rinse and drain seeds twice a day. In hot and dry weather, you may need to rinse the seeds three times a day. In very humid weather, the seeds should be kept in a dry place.
NOTE: Turn jar over gently. Overturning the jar rapidly will cause shifting in the sprouting seeds. This can break the tender shoots and kill the sprout. This breakage causes the sprout to spoil.
4. Sprouts should be ready to eat in 3-5 days, depending on the seed used. Put in sunlight during the last day to add chlorophyll.
Look at all of those beautiful sprouts!!
Just continue step 3 for one more day
Carefully remove from jar, minding breakage.
Place in strainer, rinse, and eat!
This can feed a family of 6 or more for one meal!
$6 for Jar
$1 or less for 1/2 cup of beans
The rest of the Sprouts are virtually FREE after that!
Compare that to your local store where organic sprouts are $2-3 for a tiny handful of sprouts, that only feed one person!
~Peace and Love~
Subscribe below with your email for more health tips!
Let me know how this worked for you in the comments: